1. What is SharePoint?
Ans: Portal Collaboration Software.
2. what is the difference between SharePoint Portal Server and Windows SharePoint Services?
Ans : SharePoint Portal Server is the global portal offering features like global navigation and searching. Windows SharePoint Services is more content management based with document libraries and lists. You apply information to certain areas within your portal from Windows SharePoint Services or directly to portal areas.
3. what is a document library?
Ans : A document library is where you upload your core documents. They consist of a row and column view with links to the documents. When the document is updated so is the link on your site. You can also track metadata on your documents. Metadata would consist of document properties.
4. what is a meeting workspace? Ans : A meeting workspace is a place to store information, attendees, and tasks related to a specific meeting.
5. what is a document workspace?
Ans : Document workspaces consist of information surrounding a single or multiple documents.
6. What is a web part? Ans : Web parts consist of xml queries to full SharePoint lists or document libraries. You can also develop your own web parts and web part pages.
7.what is the difference between a document library and a form library?
Ans : Document libraries consist of your core documents. An example would be a word document, excel, powerpoint, visio, pdf, etc… Form libraries consist of XML forms.
8. what is a web part zone?
Ans : Web part zones are what your web parts reside in and help categorize your web parts when designing a page.
9. how is security managed in SharePoint?
Ans : Security can be handled at the machine, domain, or SharePoint level.
10. how are web parts developed?
Ans : Web parts are developed in Visual Studio .Net. VS.Net offers many web part and page templates and can also be downloaded from the Microsoft site.
11. what is a site definition?
Ans : It’s a methods for providing prepackaged site and list content.
12. what is a template?
Ans : A template is a pre-defined set of functions or settings that can be used over time. There are many templates within SharePoint, Site Templates, Document Templates, Document Library and List Templates.
13. How do you install web parts?
Ans : Web Parts should be distributed as a .CAB (cabinet) file using the MSI Installer.
14. What is CAML?
Ans : CAML stands for Collaborative Application Markup Language and is an XML-based language that is used in Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to define sites and lists, including, for example, fields, views, or forms, but CAML is also used to define tables in the Windows SharePoint Services database during site provisioning.
15. what is a DWP?
Ans : The file extension of a web part.
16. what is the GAC?
Ans : Global Assembly Cache folder on the server hosting SharePoint. You place your assemblies there for web parts and services.
17. what are the differences between web part page gallery, site gallery, virtual server gallery and online gallery?
Ans : Web Part Page Gallery is the default gallery that comes installed with SharePoint. Site Gallery is specific to one site. Virtual Server gallery is specific to that virtual server and online galleries are downloadable web parts from Microsoft.
18. what is the difference between a site and a web?
Ans : The pages in a Web site generally cover one or more topics and are interconnected through hyperlinks. Most Web sites have a home page as their starting point. While a Web is simply a blank site with SharePoint functionality built in; meaning you have to create the site from the ground up.
19. What is Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services? How is it related to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007?
Ans : Windows SharePoint Services is the solution that enables you to create Web sites for information sharing and document collaboration. Windows SharePoint Services — a key piece of the information worker infrastructure delivered in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 — provides additional functionality to the Microsoft Office system and other desktop applications, and it serves as a platform for application development.
Office SharePoint Server 2007 builds on top of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 to provide additional capabilities including collaboration, portal, search, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence.
20.What is Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server?
Ans : SharePoint Portal Server is a portal server that connects people, teams, and knowledge across business processes. SharePoint Portal Server integrates information from various systems into one secure solution through single sign-on and enterprise application integration capabilities. It provides flexible deployment and management tools, and facilitates end-to-end collaboration through data aggregation, organization, and searching. SharePoint Portal Server also enables users to quickly find relevant information through customization and personalization of portal content and layout as well as through audience targeting.
21. What is Microsoft Windows Services?
Ans : Microsoft Windows Services is the engine that allows administrators to create Web sites for information sharing and document collaboration. Windows SharePoint Services provides additional functionality to the Microsoft Office System and other desktop applications, as well as serving as a plat form for application development. SharePoint sites provide communities for team collaboration, enabling users to work together on documents, tasks, and projects. The environment for easy and flexible deployment, administration, and application development.
22. What is the relationship between Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server and Microsoft Windows Services?
Ans : Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies (including SharePoint Portal Server and Windows SharePoint Services) deliver highly scalable collaboration solutions with flexible deployment and management tools. Windows SharePoint Services provides sites for team collaboration, while Share Point Portal Server connects these sites, people, and business processes—facilitating knowledge sharing and smart organizations. SharePoint Portal Server also extends the capabilities of Windows SharePoint Services by providing organizational and management tools for SharePoint sites, and by enabling teams to publish information to the entire organization.
23. Who is Office SharePoint Server 2007 designed for?
Ans : Office SharePoint Server 2007 can be used by information workers, IT administrators, and application developers.
24. What are the main benefits of Office SharePoint Server 2007?
Ans : Office SharePoint Server 2007 provides a single integrated platform to manage intranet, extranet, and Internet applications across the enterprise.
* Business users gain greater control over the storage, security, distribution, and management of their electronic content, with tools that are easy to use and tightly integrated into familiar, everyday applications.
* Organizations can accelerate shared business processes with customers and partners across organizational boundaries using InfoPath Forms Services–driven solutions.
* Information workers can find information and people efficiently and easily through the facilitated information-sharing functionality and simplified content publishing. In addition, access to back-end data is achieved easily through a browser, and views into this data can be personalized.
* Administrators have powerful tools at their fingertips that ease deployment, management, and system administration, so they can spend more time on strategic tasks.
* Developers have a rich platform to build a new class of applications, called Office Business Applications, that combine powerful developer functionality with the flexibility and ease of deployment of Office SharePoint Server 2007. Through the use of out-of-the-box application services, developers can build richer applications with less code.
25. What is the difference between Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Internet sites and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007?
Ans : Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Internet sites and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 have identical feature functionality. While the feature functionality is similar, the usage rights are different.
If you are creating an Internet, or Extranet, facing website, it is recommended that you use Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Internet sites which does not require the purchase client access licenses. Websites hosted using an “Internet sites” edition can only be used for Internet facing websites and all content, information, and applications must be accessible to non-employees. Websites hosted using an “Internet sites” edition cannot be accessed by employees creating, sharing, or collaborating on content which is solely for internal use only, such as an Intranet Portal scenario. See the previous section on licensing for more information on the usage scenarios.
26. What suites of the 2007 Microsoft Office system work with Office SharePoint Server 2007?
Ans : Office Outlook 2007 provides bidirectional offline synchronization with SharePoint document libraries, discussion groups, contacts, calendars, and tasks.
Microsoft Office Groove 2007, included as part of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007, will enable bidirectional offline synchronization with SharePoint document libraries.
Features such as the document panel and the ability to publish to Excel Services will only be enabled when using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007or Office Enterprise 2007.
Excel Services will only work with documents saved in the new Office Excel 2007 file format (XLSX).
27. How do I invite users to join a Windows SharePoint Services Site? Is the site secure?
Ans : SharePoint-based Web sites can be password-protected to restrict access to registered users, who are invited to join via e-mail. In addition, the site administrator can restrict certain members' roles by assigning different permission levels to view post and edit.
28. Can I post any kind of document?
Ans : You can post documents in many formats, including .pdf, .htm and .doc. In addition, if you are using Microsoft Office XP, you can save documents directly to your Windows SharePoint Services site.
29. Can I download information directly from a SharePoint site to a personal digital assistant (PDA)?
Ans : No you cannot. However, you can exchange contact information lists with Microsoft Outlook.
30. How long does it take to set up the initial team Web site?
Ans : It only takes a few minutes to create a complete Web site. Preformatted forms let you and your team members contribute to the site by filling out lists. Standard forms include announcements, events, contacts, tasks, surveys, discussions and links.
31. Can I create custom templates?
Ans : Yes you can. You can have templates for business plans, doctor's office, lawyer's office etc.
32. How can I make my site public?
Ans : By default, all sites are created private.
If you want your site to be a public Web site, enable anonymous access for the entire site. Then you can give out your URL to anybody in your business card, e-mail or any other marketing material.
The URL for your Web site will be:http:// yoursitename.wss.bcentral.com
Hence, please take special care to name your site.
These Web sites are ideal for information and knowledge intensive sites and/or sites where you need to have shared Web workspace.
Remember: Under each parent Web site, you can create up to 10 sub-sites each with unique permissions, settings and security rights.
33. How do the sub sites work?
Ans : You can create a sub site for various categories.
* Departments - finance, marketing, IT
* Products - electrical, mechanical, hydraulics
* Projects - Trey Research, Department of Transportation, FDA
* Team - Retention team, BPR team
* Clients - new clients, old clients
* Suppliers - Supplier 1, Supplier 2, Supplier 3
* Customers - Customer A, Customer B, Customer C
* Real estate - property A, property B
The URLs for each will be, for example:
You can keep track of permissions for each team separately so that access is restricted while maintaining global access to the parent site.
34. How do I make my site non-restricted?
Ans : If you want your site to have anonymous access enabled (i.e., you want to treat it like any site on the Internet that does not ask you to provide a user name and password to see the content of the site), follow these simple steps:
# Login as an administrator
# Click on site settings
# Click on Go to Site Administration
# Click on Manage anonymous access
# Choose one of the three conditions on what Anonymous users can access:
** Entire Web site
** Lists and libraries
Default condition is nothing; your site has restricted access. The default conditions allow you to create a secure site for your Web site.
35. Can I get domain name for my Web site?
Ans : Unfortunately, no. At this point, we don't offer domain names for SharePoint sites. But very soon we will be making this available for all our SharePoint site customers. Please keep checking this page for further update on this. Meanwhile, we suggest you go ahead and set up your site and create content for it.
SharePoint DeveloperA SharePoint Developer will need more than ASP.NET 2.0 to perform this role well. SharePoint is a development platform in They will have to have learned the SharePoint Object Model, know how to create Web Parts Workflows and Features and Solutions. Here is a good question to ask someone you are assessing for a SharePoint developer position:
What are Features and Solutions and what is the difference between the two?
Features are a method for developers to package customizations and deploy them to the SharePoint portal. They can then be activated and deactivated at the Site Collection level. Solutions are a way to bundle features together for deployment.